New & Noteworthy
Stage, Discharge, & Levels
2014 Streamflow Summary
Threatened and Recently Discontinued Streamgages
USGS in Your State
USGS Water Science Centers are located in each state.
Other Water Sites
Office of Ground Water
Office of Water Quality
Office of Hydrologic Research
Cooperative Water Program
Documents are presented in Portable Document Format (PDF); the latest version of Adobe Reader or similar software is required to view it. Download the latest version of Adobe Reader, free of charge.
Bulletin 17B References
- Brater, E.F. and J.D. Sherrill, Prediction of the Magnitudes and Frequencies of Floods in Michigan, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 56pp., August 1971.
- Gann, E.E., "Generalized Flood-Frequency Estimate for Urban Areas in Missouri," USGS Open-File Report, 18 pp., 1971.
- Thomas, C.A., W.A. Harenberg, and J.M. Anderson, "Magnitude and Frequency of Floods in Small Drainage Basins in Idaho," USGS Water Resources Inv. 7-73, NTIS, Springfield, VA., 1973.
- Todorovic, R. and E. Zelenhasic, "A Stochastic Model for Flood Analysis," Water Resources Research Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 1641-1648, December 1970. Copyright 1970 American Geophysical Union. Reproduced/modified by permission of American Geophysical Union.
- Carrigan, P.H., Jr., and C.S. Huzzen, "Serial Correlation of Annual Floods," International Hydrology Symposium, Fort Collins, September 1967.
- Matalas, N.C., "Autocorrelatlon of Rainfall and Streamflow Minimums," U.S. Geological Survey Prof. Paper 434B, 1963.
- Pacific Southwest Interagency Commission Report of the Hydrology Subcommittee, "Limitations in Hydrologic Data as Applied to Studies in Water Control Management," February 1966.
- Beard, L.R., Flood Flow Frequency Techniques, Center for Research in Water Resources, The University of Texas at Austin, 1974.
- Langbein, W.B., "Annual Floods and the Partial Duration Series" Transactions, American Geophysical Union, Vol. 30, No. 6., p. 879, December 1949. Copyright 1949 American Geophysical Union. Reproduced/modified by permission of American Geophysical Union.
- Hardison, C.H., "Generalized Skew Coefficients of Annual Floods in the United States and Their Application," Water Resources Research, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 745-752, August 1974. Copyright 1974 American Geophysical Union. Reproduced/modified by permission of American Geophysical Union.
- U.S. Army Engineer District, Sacramento, California, Civil Works Investigations Project CW-l51, Flood Volume Studies-West Coast. Research Note No. 1, "Frequency of New England Floods," July 1958.
- Corps of Engineers, U.S. Army, "Storm Rainfall in the United States," Washington, 1945.
- Benson, M.A., "Evaluation of Methods for Evaluating the Occurrence of Floods," USGS Water Supply Paper 1580-A, 1962.
- Benson, M.A., "Factors Influencing the Occurrence of Floods in a Humid Region of Diverse Terrain," USGS Water Supply Paper 1580-B, 1962.
- Benson, M.A., "Factors Affecting the Occurrence of Floods in the Southwest," USGS Water Supply Paper l580-D, 1964.
- Bock, P., I. Enger, G.P. Maihotra, and D.A. Chisholm, "Estimating Peak Runoff Rates from Ungaged Small Rural Watersheds," National Cooperative Highway Research Program Report 136, Highway Research Board, 1972.
- Dalrymple, T., Flood Frequency Analyses, Manual of Hydrology: Part 3, "Flood Flow Techniques," USGS Water Supply Paper 1543-A, 1960.
- Yevjevich, Vujica, Probability and Statistics in Hydrology, Water Resources Publications, Fort Collins, Colorado, l972.
- Gumbel, E.J., "The Calculated Risk in Flood Control," Applied Science Research, Section A, Vol. 5, 1955, The Hague.
- Riggs, H.C., "Frequency of Natural Events," Journal of the Hydraulics Division, ASCE, Vol. 87, No. HY1, pp. 15-26, January 1961. Copyright 1961 ASCE. Reproduced by permission of ASCE.
- Beard, L.R., "Probability Estimates Based on Small Normal-Distribution Samples," Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 65, No. 7, pps. 2143-2148, July 1960. Copyright 1960 American Geophysical Union. Reproduced/modified by permission of American Geophysical Union.
- Hardison, C., and M. Jennings, "Bias in Computed Flood Risk," Journal of the Hydraulics Division, Proc. ASCE, Vol. 98, No. HY3, March 1972 (with discussion and closure), pp. 415-427. Copyright 1972. Reproduced by permission of ASCE.
- Harter, H.L., "Some Optimization Problems in Parameter Estimation," edited by Jagdish S. Rustagi, Optimizing Methods in Statistics, Academic Press, New York, 1971, pp. 32-62.
- Chow, V.T, Handbook of Applied Hydrology, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1964, pp. 8-28 and 8-29.
- Hardison, C., "Accuracy of Streamflow Characteristics," USGS Professional Paper 650-D, pp. D210-D214, 1969.
- Wilson, E.B. and M.M. Hilferty, "The Distribution of Chi-Square," Proc., National Academy of Science, Vol. 17, No. 12, December 1931, pp. 684-688.
- McGinnis, David G., and William H. Sammons, Discussion of Paper by Payne, Neuman, and Kerri. "Daily Stream Flow Simulation," Journal of the Hydraulics Division, Proc. ASCE, Vol. 96, No. HY5, May 1970.
- Jennings, M.E., and M.A. Benson, "Frequency Curves for Annual Flood Series with Some Zero Events or Incomplete Data," Water Resources Research, Vol. 5, No. 1, November 1968, pp. 276-280. Copyright 1968 American Geophysical Union. Reproduced/modified by permission of American Geophysical Union.
- Matalas, N., and B. Jacobs, "A Correlation Procedure for Augmenting Hydrologic Data," USGS Professional Paper 434-E, 1964.
- Gilroy, E.J. personal communication to C. Hardison, 1974.
- Beard, L.R., Statistical Methods in Hydrology, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Civil Works Investigation Project CW-151, 1962.
- Natrella, M.G., Experimental Statistics, National Bureau of Standards Handbook 91; pp. 2-13/2-15, T-14/T-15; 1963.
- Hardison, C.H., personal communication, 1974.
- U.S. Corps of Engineers, "Regional Frequency Computation," Generalized Computer Program, The Hydrologic Engineering Center, July 1972.
- Water Resources Council, Hydrology Committee, A Uniform Technique for Determining Flood Flow Frequencies, Bulletin 15, Washington, D.C., 1967.
- Harter, H.L., and A.H. Moore, "A Note on Estimation from a Type I Extreme-Value Distribution," Technometrics Vol. 9, No. 2, May 1967, pp. 325-331.
- Thom, H.C.S., "A Note on the Gamma Dist Monthly Weather Review Vol. 86, 1958, Pp. 117-122.
- Grubbs, Frank E. and Glenn Beck, "Extension of Sample Sizes and Percentage Points for Significance Tests of Outlying Observations," Technometrics, Vol. 14, No. 4, November 1972, pp. 847-854.
- Tasker, Gary D., "Flood Frequency Analysis with a Generalized Skew Coefficient," Water Resources Research, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 373-376, April 1978. Copyright 1978 American Geophysical Union. Reproduced/modified by permission of American Geophysical Union.
- Wallis, J.R., N.C. Matalas, and J.R. Slack, "Just a Moment," Water Resources Research, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 211-219, April 1974. Copyright 1974 American Geophysical Union. Reproduced/modified by permission of American Geophysical Union.
- Resnikoff, G.J., and G.J. Lieberman, Tables of the Non-Central t-Distribution, Stanford University Press, Stanford, California, 1957.
- Zelen, N., and N.C. Severo, "Probability Functions," Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Applied Mathematics Series No. 55, U.S. National Bureau of Standards; pp. 925, 927, 948-949; .
- Owen, D.B., "Factors for One-Sided Tolerance Limits and for Variables Sampling Plans, Sandia Corporation Monograph SCR-607; pgs. 1-10, 25, 47, 83, 373-376, 381-382, 403-412; March, 1963.