USGS Groundwater Policy > Groundwater Model Archiving > Release
Models: Instructions for Modelers - Release
Modeler Workflow - Release
This step describes the process to publicly release the model archive once it has been reviewed and approved.
As stated in the OGW Technical Memorandum No. 2016.02, two copies of the model archive must be maintained. To meet the Open Data Policy requirements, the public copy of the model archive will be released on the NSDI Water Node and the internal copy is maintained at the Center. Each Center must still maintain a model archive repository for numerical groundwater models. Archives in the Center repository serve as a backup for those in the national repository and may contain additional information not released to the public. The Center repository must be located on disks that are routinely backed up as done for other mission critical information."
The model archive and the model documentation report should be released simultaneously. The model archive should not be uploaded to the NSDI Water Node and the DOI should not be made public (registered) prior to the final approval of the report describing the modeling effort.
Important! Coordinate and plan public release of archive and associated publication(s), including timing of availability online and finalization of DOIs with NSDI Water Node and EPN staff.
- Store the complete archive (including the nonpublic directory) in the Center's internal model archive repository, in accordance with the Center policy.
- All Center model archives should be managed in a manner consistent with USGS guidelines and best practices for data backups and storage.
- Remove "nonpublic folder" from the version of the model archive to be uploaded to NSDI Water Node.
Prepare the approved model archive for upload to the NSDI Water Node following NSDI Water Node instructions.
- Register the DOI:
- Update the DOI record using the USGS DOI creation tool by adding the URL from the metadata record, such as http://water.usgs.gov/GIS/dsdl/gwmodels/SIR2014-xxxx/
- Register the DOI so that the DOI link is active and working.
- Submit archive copy for public release to the NSDI Water Node.
- Obtain final URL from NSDI Water Node manager.
- Update the DOI with the final URL (obtained from the NSDI Water Node manager) and release date.
- Once the model is publicly available through the NSDI Water Node:
- Check the files on the NSDI Water Node.
- Check that the metadata are available in the USGS Science Data Catalog or data.gov.
- Work with NSDI Water Node manager to resolve any problems identified.
- Once the data release is complete and publically available online the author should Approve the Dissemination routing step in IPDS.