New & Noteworthy
Stage, Discharge, & Levels
2011 Streamflow Summary
Threatened and Recently Discontinued Streamgages
Today's Water Conditions
View maps of current and historical conditions
Flood and high flow
Surface water quality
USGS in Your State
USGS Water Science Centers are located in each state.
Other Water Sites
Office of Ground Water
Office of Water Quality
Office of Hydrologic Research
Cooperative Water Program
Documents are presented in Portable Document Format (PDF); the latest version of Adobe Reader or similar software is required to view it. Download the latest version of Adobe Reader, free of charge.
National Bridge Scour Project
Please contact Charles Berenbrock with questions.
National Bridge Scour Database
Summary of USGS Highway Programs (2004-Present)
Instrumentation for Real-Time Measurement of Scour at Bridges
- OSW Memos
SW 92.03 Guidelines for the Transmittal of Bridge-Scour
Information to Cooperators
SW 93.01 Summary of Documentation that Describes
SW 93.04 Correction to Office of Surface Water
Technical Memorandum No. 93.01
Distribution of "Channel Scour at Bridges in the United States",
by Mark N. Landers and David S. Mueller (Federal Highway
Administration Publication FHWA RD 95 184), and of "Bridge-Scour
Data Management System User's Manual," by Mark N. Landers,
David S. Mueller, and Gary R. Martin (U.S. Geological Survey
Open-File Report 95-754)
Distribution of Water-Resources Investigations Report 96-4310,
Method for Rapid Estimation of Scour at Highway Bridges Based
on Limited Site Data, by Stephen R. Holnbeck and Charles Parrett
Summary of the Bridge Scour Assessment Work Group
Reconnaissance Type Bridge-Scour Projects
- USGS Training Courses
Basic Hydraulics Principles
Alluvial Channel Hydraulics and Sediment Transport
Surface Water Hydraulics Analyses
Sediment Data-Collection Techniques
- Other Training Courses
- Training Classes available with the Federal Highway Administration: Hydraulics
- BSDMS - Bridge Scour Data Management System
- FESWMS-2DH - Finite-Element Surface-Water Modeling System for 2-D
Flow in the Horizontal Plain
- WSPRO - A computer model for Water-Surface PROfile computations
- Other sources of bridge scour related software
- Federal Highway Administration Hydraulic Engineering Software
- University of Florida Center for Microcomputers in Transportation
- GKY & Associates, Inc.
- Recent USGS Authored Publications on Bridge Scour
- Crumrine, M.D., Lee, K.K., and Kittleson, R.L., 1996, Bridge-scour instrumentation and data for nine sites in
Oregon, 1991-1994: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 95-366, 19 p.
- Diehl, Timothy H., Potential Drift Accumulation
at Bridges: FHWA-RD-97-028
- Doheny, E.J., Helinsky, B.M., and McGregor, R.A., 1996, A technique for preliminary appraisal of potential and
observed scour as applied to state-maintained highway bridges in Maryland: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File
Report 95-135, 75 p.
- Hayes, D.C., 1996, Scour at bridge sites in Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia: U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources
Investigations Report 96-4089, 35 p.
- Hilmes, M.M., and Vaill, J.E., 1997, Estimates of bridge scour at two sites on the Virgin River, Southeastern Nevada,
using a sediment transport model and historical geomorphic data: U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations
Report 97-4073, 72 p.
- Hopkins, M.S., and Robinson, B.A., 1997, Data base for assessment of streambed scour and channel instability at
selected bridges in Indiana, 1991-1995: U.S. Geological
Survey Open-File Report 97-419, 17 p.
- Jackson, K.S., 1996, Evaluation of Bridge-Scour
Data at Selected Sites on Ohio: U.S. Geological
Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report
97-4182, 96 p.
- Landers, M.N., and Mueller, D.S., 1996, Channel scour at bridges in the United States: Federal Highway Administration
- Landers, M.N., and Mueller, D.S., and Martin, G.R., 1996, Bridge-scour data management system users manual:
U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 95-754.
- Mueller, D.S., 1996, Scour at bridges detailed data collection during floods, Proceeding of the Sixth Federal
Interagency Sedimentation Conference, Las Vegas, Nev., p. IV-41 IV-48.
- Mueller, D.S. and Jones, J.S., 1997, Evaluation of field and laboratory research on scour at bridge piers in the
United States in Managing Water: Coping with Scarcity and Abundance Proceedings of Theme A, The 27th
Congress of the International Association of Hydraulic Research, American Society of Civil Engineers, August, p. 135-140.
- Mueller, D.S., and Landers, M.N., 1996, Laboratory evaluation of a conductivity probe for scour monitoring,
Proceeding of the North American Water and Environment Congress, ASCE
- Voelker, D.C., 1997, Application of the BRIdge Stream Tube Model for Alluvial River Simulations (BRI-STARS) at
Bridge 101-17-5096A, State Road 101 over the St. Joseph River at Saint Joe, Indiana: U.S. Geological Survey
Water-Resources Investigations Report 97-4137, 45 p.
- More USGS Authored Publications on Bridge Scour and Related Topics
- FHWA Hydraulic Engineering Publications Reference List
- Other References Related to Bridge Scour
- Summary of the Bridge Scour Assessment Work Group (May 1993)
- Other Links
- FHWA Bridge Division, Hydraulics Group
- ASCE Task Committee on Bridge Management for Scour Safety
- Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center
- National Cooperative Highway Research Program
- Transportation Research Information Services (TRIS)