New & Noteworthy
Stage, Discharge, & Levels
2014 Streamflow Summary
Threatened and Recently Discontinued Streamgages
Today's Water Conditions
View maps of current and historical conditions
Flood and high flow
Surface water quality
USGS in Your State
USGS Water Science Centers are located in each state.
Other Water Sites
Office of Ground Water
Office of Water Quality
Office of Hydrologic Research
Cooperative Water Program
Documents are presented in Portable Document Format (PDF); the latest version of Adobe Reader or similar software is required to view it. Download the latest version of Adobe Reader, free of charge.
Hydrologic Drought and Low-Flow Frequency
Please contact Harry Lins with questions.
and defining drought by the National Drought Mitigation Center
- OSW Memos
70.07 Adjustments for zero-flow items
76.03 Updating Streamflow/Basin Characteristics File
- SW 79.06
Low-Flow Frequency Estimates
- SW 85.17
Policy on Providing Low-Flow Information
- SW 86.02
Low-Flow Frequency Estimation at Partial-Record Sites
- SW 89.11 Recommendations for Regional Low-Flow Studies
Transmittal of Open-File Report 91-244, "Proceedings of the
United States-People's Republic of China Bilateral Symposium on
Droughts and Arid-Regional Hydrology
Ground Water/Surface Water Relationships
Statistical Approach to Surface-Water Hydrological Analysis
Hydrologic Regression and Network Analysis Using Generalized
- swstat -
Input and Output for a Watershed Data Management (WDM) file
- Riggs, H.C., 1972, "Low Flow Investigations, Hydrologic
Analysis and Interpretation": USGS Techniques of Water-Resources
Investigations, Chapter B1, Book 4, 17 p.
- Hardison, C.H., and Moss, M.E., 1972, "Accuracy of low-flow
characteristics estimated by correlation of base-flow
measurements": USGS WSP 1542-B, 21 p.
- Lins, H.F., and Slack,
J.R., 1999, "Streamflow trends in the United States": Geophysical
Research Letter, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 227-230.
- Ludwig, A.H., and Tasker, G.D., 1993, "Regionalization of
low-flow characteristics of Arkansas streams": USGS WRIR 93-4013,
- Schneider, W.J., 1965, "Areal variability of low flows in a
basin of diverse geologic units": Water Resources Research, vol
1, no. 4, pp.509-515.
- Trainer, F.W., 1969, "Drainage density as an indicator of
base flow in part of the Potomac River Basin": USGS Prof. Paper
650-C, pp. C177-C183.
- Durrans, S.R. and Tomic', Sasa, 1996, "REgionalization of
low-flow frequency estimates: an Alabama case study': Water
Resources Bulletin, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 23-37.
- Weaver, J.C., 1996, "Low-flow characteristics and profiles for selected streams in the Roanoke River Basin, North Carolina": USGS WRIR 96-4154 56 p.
- Singh, K.P., and Stall, J.B., 1974, "Hydrology of 7-Day 10-Yr
Low Flows": Journal of the Hydraulics Division, vol. 100,
no. HY12, pp. 1753-1771.
- Stedinger, J.R., and Thomas, W.O., Jr., 1985, Low-flow frequency estimation using base-flow measurements; USGS Open-File Report 85-95, 22p.
- ASCE Task Committee on low-flow evaluation, methods, and needs of the Committee on Surface-Water Hydrology of the Hydraulics Division, 1980, "Characteristics of low flows": ASCE Journal of Hydraulics, vol. 106, no. HY5, 7 p.
- Other Links
- National Drought