Water-Use Open Forum
Discussion at the Water-Use Data and Research Program stakeholder listening sessions hosted by ICWP, showed that many involved in water-use data collection, data management, and regulation have a desire to continue communicating about challenges and solutions to water-use data issues, such as data collection, storage, QA/QC, analysis and data dissemination. USGS is pleased to host these meetings as the Water-Use Open Forum.
- January 27: Experiences with contractors for Water-Use Data and Research Program projects - Ryan Gordon, Ph.D., Maine Geological Survey, and Christina Hargiss, Ph.D., North Dakota State University | Register
Webinar General Information
Water-Use Open Forum webinars will be generally scheduled on the last Wednesday of the month at 2 pm ET/1 pm CT/12 noon MT/11 am PT/10 am AKT/9 am HAT. Meeting topic and a registration link will be sent out before each call. At the meeting time, activate the webinar using the meeting link in your registration email. You can then choose to use your computer audio, or if needed, you can call the phone number listed under the Audio section in GoToWebinar after starting the meeting for the audio portion of the presentation.
The webinar session and audio bridge will be live 10 minutes prior to the start time. Note that it may take a minute or two for your browser to be setup for the webinar, so logging in a bit early is recommended.
Please volunteer for an upcoming talk to share your water-use data experiences. Contact Kim Shaffer at WUDRfirstname.lastname@example.org with your topic and preferred date.
Past presentations and related files
- November 18: USGS Water-Use Program updates and data delivery (.mp4) - Jaime Painter, USGS
- October 28: Locating Private Water Well Systems in Vermont: Leveraging Digital Well Records, Parcel Data, and Property Information in GIS (.mp4) - Julia Boyles, Vermont Geological Survey
- September 30: Estimated Groundwater Withdrawals from Principal Aquifers in the United States, 2015 (.mp4) - John Lovelace, USGS
- August 26, 2020: Consumptive Water Use: Refining Virginia's Water Supply Estimates with Discharge and Withdrawal Data (.mp4) - Scott Kudlas, VA DEQ, Robert Burgholzer, VA DEQ, and Julie Shortridge, Virginia Tech
- July 29, 2020: Mapping and modeling of interbasin water transfers within the United States (.mp4) - Landon Marston, Virginia Tech
- May 27, 2020: USGS Thermoelectric Water Use (.mp4) - Melissa Harris, USGS
- February 26, 2020: Visualizing Water Use Data in Texas through Dashboards (.mp4) - Katie Dahlberg, Texas Water Development Board
- December 4, 2019: WSWC Water Data Exchange (WaDE) Program 2.0: New Architecture (.mp4) - Adel Abdallah, Western States Water Council
- October 30, 2019: Pennsylvania's Water Use and Data Research Projects (.swf) - Michael Hill, Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
- October 2, 2019: USGS water-use data system modernization and WaDE collaboration (.swf) - Nancy Barber (email@example.com), USGS
- July 31, 2019: Progress and status of the WUDR Program (PDF) - Kim Shaffer (firstname.lastname@example.org or WUDRemail@example.com), USGS WUDR Coordinator
- August 30, 2017: Municipal water-use data in North Dakota — projects and per capita coefficients - Dr. Christina Hargiss (firstname.lastname@example.org), North Dakota State University
- May 31, 2017: Developing a domestic self-supplied metering program in Florida, what has been learned about metering, understanding early results, and how to expand this study (.mp4) - Rich Marella (email@example.com ), USGS
- April 26, 2017: Water Use in the Tennessee Valley: A TVA Perspective (.mp4) - Amanda Bowen (Akbowen@tva.gov), TVA
- February 22, 2017: California Assembly Bill 1755 "The Open and Transparent Water Data Act" (.mp4) - Christina McCready (firstname.lastname@example.org), California DWR
- January 25, 2017: A Look at Irrigation Policy and Technology Advancements through the Rear View Mirror, the Kansas Experience (.mp4) - Dr. Dan Rogers, Kansas State University
- October 26, 2016: Water Use and Golf Courses in Utah, "Just Par for the Course" (.mp4) - Robert Baskin (email@example.com ), Ph.D, PG, USGS Utah Water Science Center
- September 28, 2016: Overview of the Arkansas water-use program (.mp4) - Todd Fugitt and Mike Guess (firstname.lastname@example.org), Arkansas Natural Resources Commission
- August 31, 2016: Water Data Exchange (WaDE) (.mp4) - Sara Larsen (email@example.com), Western States Water Council
- June 29, 2016: Water Use in New Jersey and the New Jersey Water-Transfer Data System (NJWaTr) (.mp4); Powerpoint (.pdf) - Steve Domber (firstname.lastname@example.org), NJ DEP and Jen Shourds, USGS
- May 25, 2016: Wisconsin water-use data collection, database, and QA/QC (.mp4) - Bob Smail (email@example.com), Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
- April 27, 2016: Texas Municipal and Industrial Water Use Survey (PDF) - Kevin Kluge (Kevin.firstname.lastname@example.org), Texas Water Development Board
- March 30, 2016: Using SSEBop remote sensing methods to estimate consumptive use on agricultural lands (link to paper) - Gabriel Senay (email@example.com) and Jesslyn Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org), USGS
- February 24, 2016: USGS Water-Use Databases--AWUDS and SWUDS (.pptx) - Nancy Barber (email@example.com), USGS
- February 10th, 2016: Overview of USGS 2015 Compilation (.pptx) - Molly Maupin (firstname.lastname@example.org), USGS