USGS Groundwater Software
Three-dimensional groundwater flow simulation with Groundwater
Management capability using optimization
Software (Version 1.1.4, May 31, 2011, built from MODFLOW-2000 Version
file containing installation instructions is included with the
Microsoft Windows software distribution file.
GWM-2000 compiled for Microsoft
: Contains compiled executable program, source
code, test problems, and documentation report.
Addendum to GWM, version 1.1.1: A new input requirement; new
capabilities added to increase output options; revised Supply sample
problem (supply2). – March 2007.
Portable Document Format (PDF) (27 kb)
D.P., Barlow, P.M., and
Mulligan, A.E., 2005, GWM-A ground-water management process for the
U.S. Geological Survey modular ground-water model (MODFLOW-2000): U.S.
Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1072, 124 p.
P.M., 2005, Use of Simulation-Optimization Modeling to Assess Regional
Ground-Water Systems: U.S.
Geological Survey Fact Sheet 2005-3095, 4 p.
Example Applications of GWM
- Ahlfeld, D.P., and Baro-Montes, Gemma, 2008, Solving unconfined groundwater flow management problems with successive linear programming: Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, v. 134, no. 5, p. 404-412.
- Ahlfeld, D.P., and Hoque, Yamen, 2008, Impact of simulation model solver performance on ground water management problems: Ground Water, v. 46, no. 5, p. 716-726.
- Pulido-Velazquez, David, Ahlfeld, David, Andreu, Joaquin, and Sahuquillo, Andres, 2008, Reducing the computational cost of unconfined groundwater flow in conjunctive-use models at basin scale assuming linear behaviour—the case of Adra-Campo de Dalias: Journal of Hydrology, v. 353, p. 159-174.
- Spitz, F.J., Watt, M.K., and DePaul, V.T., 2008, Recovery of ground-water levels from 1988 to 2003 and analysis of potential water-supply management options in Critical Area 1, east-central New Jersey: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2007-5193, 40 p. (https://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2007/5193/)
- Stanton, J.S., Peterson, S.M., and Fienen, M.N., 2010, Simulation of groundwater flow and effects of groundwater irrigation on stream base flow in the Elkhorn and Loup River Basins, Nebraska, 1985-2055--Phase Two: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2010-5149, 78 p.
- Luukkonen, C.L., 2010, Model refinement and simulation of groundwater flow in Clinton, Eaton, and Ingham Counties, Michigan: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2009-5244, 53 p. https://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2009/5244/
- Banta, E.R., and Paschke, S.S., 2012, Demonstration optimization analyses of pumping from selected Arapahoe aquifer municipal wells in the west-central Denver Basin, Colorado, 2010-2109: U. S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2012-5140, 37 p. https://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2012/5140/
Support is provided for correcting bugs
and clarification of how the
code is intended to work. Only limited assistance can be provided for
applying GWM-2000 to specific problems. For support, contact:
- Paul Barlow
- David P. Ahlfeld
[ Up] [Software Archive] [National Research Program] [[Groundwater Information] [Water Resources] [USGS]
USGS Privacy statement
USGS Disclaimer statement
USGS Software Disclaimer
Web page comments, contact: Richard Winston
U.S. Geological Survey
431 National Center
Reston, VA 20192
Last Iteration: November 08, 2011