Voyageurs National Park
Partnership Projects in Voyageurs National Park
- 1999 - Assess Water Quality of Lakes and Streams
- 2001 - Mercury Cycling in Small Lakes
- 2001 - Assessment of Effects of Changes in Reservoir Operations on Trophic-State Indicators
- 2008 - Nutrient Cycling and Relation to Changes in Water Levels for Kabetogama Lake
- 2011 - Calculation of Streamflow and Nutrient Loading between Namakan Lake and Kabetogama Lake Using Index-Velocity Methods
- 2012 - Assess Changes in Trophic State in Voyageurs National Park Lakes after Implementation of a Revised Water Level Management Plan
- 2013 - Examining Trends in Mercury in Small Lakes in Voyageurs National Park
- 2014 - Assessing drivers of fish mercury body burdens to inform a decision regarding water level management for Voyageurs
National Park lakes
- 2015 - Comparing Trace Metal Concentrations in Water and Pectoral Fin Rays to
Assess Lake Sturgeon Populations in Voyageurs National Park, MN
- 2016 - Using Molecular Tools to Understand and Predict Cyanobacterial Harmful Algal Bloom Toxicity in Kabetogama Lake, Voyageurs National Park, Minnesota
Brigham, M.E., Sandeheinrich, M.B., Gay, D.A. Maki, R.P., Krabbenhoft, D.P. and Wiener, J.G. 2014,
Lacustrine Responses to Decreasing Wet Mercury Deposition Rates-Results from a Case Study in Northern Minnesota,
Environmental Science and Technology, 48(11) 6115-6123, doi: 10.1021/es500301a.
Christensen, V.G., Larson, J.H., Maki, R.P., Sandheinrich, M.B., Brigham, M.E.,
Kissane, Claire, and LeDuc, J.F., 2017,
Lake levels and water quality in comparison to fish mercury body burdens, Voyageurs National Park, Minnesota, 2013–15:
U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2016–5175, 17 p., https://doi.org/10.3133/sir20165175
Christensen, V.G. and Maki, R.P. 2015,
Trophic State in Voyageurs National Park lakes before and after implementation of a
revised water-level management plan. Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA),
Christensen, V.G., Maki, R.P. and Kiesling, R.L. 2013,
Evaluation of internal loading and water level changes: implications for phosphorus,
algal production, and nuisance blooms in Kabetogama Lake,
Voyageurs National Park, Minnesota,
Lake and Reservoir Management, 29(3) 202-215, doi: 10.1080/10402381.2013.831148.
Christensen, V.G., Maki, R.P. and Kiesling, R.L. 2011,
Relation of nutrient concentrations, nutrient loading, and algal production to changes in water levels in
Kabetogama Lake, Voyageurs National Park, northern Minnesota, 2008–09:
U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2011–5096, 50 p.
Christensen, V.G., Payne, G.A. and Kallemeyn, L.W. 2004.
Effects of changes in reservoir operations on water quality and tropic-state indicators in Voyageurs
National Park, northern Minnesota, 2001-03.
U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigation Report 2004-5044. 42 p.
Christensen, Victoria G., Wakeman, E.S., and Maki, R.P., 2016,
Discharge and Nutrient Transport between Lakes in a Hydrologically Complex Area of
Voyageurs National Park, Minnesota, 2010-2012,
Journal of the American Water Resources Association (JAWRA) 1–14. DOI: 10.1111/1752-1688.12412.
Goldstein, R.M., Brigham, M.E., Steuwe, L. and Menheer, M.A. 2003.
Mercury data from small lakes in Voyageurs National Park, northern Minnesota, 2000-02.
U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 03-480. 18 p.
Payne, G.A. 2000
Water quality of lakes in Voyageurs National Park, northern Minnesota,
1999. U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations Report 00-4281, 12 p.
Wiener, J.G., Knight, B.C., Sandheinrich, M.B., Jeremiason, J.D., Brigham, M.E.,
Engstrom, D.R., Woodruff, L.G., Cannon, W.F. and Balogh, S.J. 2006.
Mercury in soils, lakes, and fish in Voyageurs National Park (Minnesota):
Importance of atmospheric deposition and ecosystem factors. Environmental Science and Technology, 40(20), 6261-6268,
Woodruff, L.G., Sandheinrich, M.B., Brigham, M.D. and Cannon, W.F. 2009,
Impact of wildfire on levels of mercury in forested watershed systems—Voyageurs National Park,
Minnesota: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2009-5151, 19 p. with appendixes.