Past featured science...
Water Quality Data
Today's Water Conditions
Get continuous real-time water-quality measurements from Water-Quality Watch maps.
Water Quality Portal (WQP)
Get current and historical USGS and EPA water-quality data at the WQP.
Get stream ecosystem aquatic bioassessment data from BioData.
For More Data
View a complete list of USGS water-quality data resources.
USGS in Your Area
USGS Water Science Centers are located in each state.
Selected Water-Quality Topics > Hydraulic Fracturing > Publications
Hydraulic Fracturing and Water Quality: Selected USGS Publications, August 2012 to present
Publications are listed in chronological order, with newest reports first.
- Williston Basin: Quality and Age of Shallow Groundwater in the Bakken Formation Production Area, Williston Basin, Montana and North Dakota (Journal Article)
- North Carolina: Baseline well inventory and groundwater-quality data from a potential shale gas resource area in parts of Lee and Chatham Counties, North Carolina, October 2011-August 2012 (USGS Report)
- USGS Investigations of Water Produced During Hydrocarbon Reservoir Development (USGS Fact Sheet)
- Pennsylvania: Landscape consequences of natural gas extraction in Cameron, Clarion, Elk, Forest, Jefferson, McKean, Potter, and Warren Counties, Pennsylvania, 2004-2010 (USGS Report)
- Colorado and New Mexico: Two Decision-Support Tools for Assessing the Potential Effects of Energy Development on Hydrologic Resources as Part of the Energy and Environment in the Rocky Mountain Area Interactive Energy Atlas (USGS Report)
- Pennsylvania: Estimation of methane concentrations and loads in groundwater discharge to Sugar Run, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania (USGS Report)
- Pennsylvania: Baseline groundwater quality from 34 wells in Wayne County, Pennsylvania, 2011 and 2013 (USGS Report)
- Williston Basin: Brine contamination to aquatic resources from oil and gas development in the Williston Basin, United States (USGS Report)
- Colorado: Spatial and stratigraphic distribution of water in oil shale of the Green River Formation using Fischer assay, Piceance Basin, northwestern Colorado (USGS Report)
- Organic substances in produced and formation water from unconventional natural gas extraction in coal and shale (Journal Article)
- Marcellus: Surface disposal of produced waters in western and southwestern Pennsylvania: potential for accumulation of alkali-earth elements in sediments (Journal Article)
- Texas: Concentrations of selected constituents in surface-water and streambed-sediment samples collected from streams in and near an area of oil and natural-gas development, south-central Texas, 2011-13 (USGS Report)
- Pennsylvania: Geohydrologic and Water-Quality Characterization of a Fractured-Bedrock Test Hole in an Area of Marcellus Shale Gas Development, Bradford County, Pennsylvania (Other Agency Report)
- Colorado: Spatial and Stratigraphic Distribution of Water in Oil Shale of the Green River Formation Using Fischer Assay, Piceance Basin, Northwestern Colorado (USGS Report)
- Arkansas: Simulated effects of existing and proposed surface-water impoundments and gas-well pads on streamflow and suspended sediment in the Cypress Creek watershed, Arkansas (USGS Report)
- A review of environmental impacts of salts from produced waters on aquatic resources (Journal Article)
- Marcellus: Characterization of the Marcellus Shale based on computer-assisted correlation of wireline logs in Virginia and West Virginia (USGS Report)
- A framework for assessing water and proppant use and flowback water extraction associated with development of continuous petroleum resources (USGS Fact Sheet)
- Colorado: Estrogen and androgen receptor activities of hydraulic fracturing chemicals and surface and ground water in a drilling-dense region (Journal Article)
- Oklahoma: Observations of Static Coulomb Stress Triggering of the November 2011 M5.7 Oklahoma Earthquake Sequence (Journal Article)
- New York: Methane Occurrence in Groundwater of South-Central New York State, 2012: Summary of Findings (USGS Fact Sheet)
- New York: Occurrence of Methane in Groundwater of South-Central New York State, 2012 -- Systematic Evaluation of a Glaciated Region by Hydrogeologic Setting (USGS Report)
- Oklahoma and Arkansas: Modeling earthquake rate changes in Oklahoma and Arkansas: possible signatures of induced seismicity (Journal Article)
- Pennsylvania: Landscape Consequences of Natural Gas Extraction in Armstrong and Indiana Counties, Pennsylvania, 2004-2010 (USGS Report)
- Pennsylvania: Landscape Consequences of Natural Gas Extraction in Sullivan and Wyoming Counties, Pennsylvania, 2004-2010 (USGS Report)
- North Carolina: Shale Baseline Sampling of Groundwater in North Carolina (Video)
- Colorado: Groundwater Ages and Mixing in the Piceance Basin Natural Gas Province, Colorado (Journal Article)
- Injection-induced earthquakes (Journal Article)
- A Stream-Based Methane Monitoring Approach for Evaluating Groundwater Impacts Associated with Unconventional Gas Development (Journal Article)
- Colorado: Chemistry and Age of Groundwater in Bedrock Aquifers of the Piceance and Yellow Creek Watersheds, Rio Blanco County, Colorado, 2010-12 (USGS Report)
- Chemistry and Age of Groundwater in the Piceance Structural Basin, Rio Blanco County, Colorado, 2010-12 (USGS Fact Sheet)
- Pennsylvania and New York: Dissolved Methane in Groundwater, Upper Delaware River Basin, Pennsylvania and New York, 2007-12 (USGS Report)
- Discharges of produced waters from oil and gas extraction via wastewater treatment plants are sources of disinfection by-products to receiving streams (Journal Article)
- Kentucky: Histopathological Analysis of Fish from Acorn Fork Creek, Kentucky Exposed to Hydraulic Fracturing Fluid Releases (Journal Article)
- Appalachian Basin: Water Resources and Shale Gas/Oil Production in the Appalachian Basin - Critical Issues and Evolving Developments (USGS Report)
- Pennsylvania: Landscape Consequences of Natural Gas Extraction in Somerset and Westmoreland Counties, Pennsylvania, 2004-2010 (USGS Report)
- Arkansas: Geochemical and isotopic variations in shallow groundwater in areas of the Fayetteville shale development, north-central Arkansas (Journal Article)
- Arkansas: Shallow Groundwater Quality and Geochemistry in the Fayetteville Shale Gas-Production Area, North-Central Arkansas, 2011 (USGS Report)
- Wyoming: Groundwater-Quality and Quality-Control Data for Two Monitoring Wells near Pavillion, Wyoming, April and May 2012 (USGS Report)
- Wyoming: Sampling and Analysis Plan for the Characterization of Groundwater Quality in Two Monitoring Wells near Pavillion, Wyoming (USGS Report)
- Pennsylvania: Landscape Consequences of Natural Gas Extraction in Lackawanna and Wayne Counties, Pennsylvania, 2004-2010
- Pennsylvania: Landscape Consequences of Natural Gas Extraction in Beaver and Butler Counties, Pennsylvania, 2004-2010
- New York: Specific Conductance Measurements in Central and Western New York Streams -- A Retrospective Characterization
- New York: Dissolved Methane in New York Groundwater, 1999-2011 (USGS Report)
- Marcellus and Utica: Baseline Groundwater Quality in National Park Units Within the Marcellus and Utica Shale Gas Plays, New York, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia, 2011 (USGS Report)
- Water Quality Studied in Areas of Unconventional Oil and Gas Development, Including Areas Where Hydraulic Fracturing Techniques are Used, in the United States (USGS Fact Sheet)
- The potential effects of sodium bicarbonate, a major constituent from coalbed natural gas production, on aquatic life (USGS Report)
- Colorado: Use of Diverse Geochemical Data Sets to Determine Sources and Sinks of Nitrate and Methane in Groundwater, Garfield County, Colorado, 2009 (USGS Report)
Links and pointers to non-USGS sites (described here as "Other Sources of Information") are provided for information only and do not constitute endorsement by the USGS, U.S. Department of the Interior, or U.S. Government, of the referenced organizations, their suitability, content, products, or services, whether they are governmental, educational, or commercial. Please note that the USGS does not control and cannot guarantee the relevance, timeliness, or accuracy of these outside materials.
For more information, see USGS Information Policies.