USGS Groundwater Information: Branch of Geophysics
Below are examples of questions that participants in a recent USGS seismic blasting safety training were expected to be able to answer upon completion of the course.
1. How do I keep from being killed or injured?
2. How do I keep from killing or injuring someone else?
3. Where and how do I store explosives? and (or) caps?
4. Where can I go to get help when I have a question?
5. What do I do when I push the button and nothing happens?
6. How do I set off explosives?
7. How do I keep from being killed when I load the hole?
8. Do I need a license for transportation? Storage? Use?
9. How do I get the most energy into the ground?
10. Where do I buy caps?
11. What are the USGS requirements?
12. Do I need to tie down the shot line?
13. Do I need to use a canvas to prevent fly rock?
14. What about radios, static, etc..?
15. What about lightening?
16. How do I prevent misfires?
17. How do I load the hole?
18. What records do I keep?
19. Whom do I notify before fieldwork begins?
20. How do I check out a site?
Download a copy of this handout as PDF (safety_questions.pdf (220KB)) or for Microsoft Word (safety_questions.doc (35KB))
Note: Some or all of this information is presented in Portable Document Format (PDF); the latest version of Adobe Reader or similar software is required to view it. Download the latest version of the free Adobe Reader from the Adobe web site. Visit http://www.adobe.com/accessibility/ for free tools that allow visually impaired users to read PDF files.